The History of St. Vincent Island
240 Pottery shards found on St. Vincent indicate Native Americans inhabited the island at this time.
1633 Franciscan Friars named the island while visiting Apalachee tribes.
1750 Creeks and Seminoles, offshoots of the Creek nation, entered area and inhabited the island.
1868 George Hatch bought the island at an auction for $3,000. Hatch’s grave is the only marked grave on the island.
1908 New owner, Dr. Pierce, spent about $60,000 importing Old World game animals.
1920 Island-grown beef cattle were sold to Apalachicola markets.
1940 First oyster lease granted. Pierce Estate sold first pine saw timber. St. Joe Lumber Company built a temporary bridge to island for timber removal.
1948 Loomis brothers bought island for $140,000 and imported zebras ,elands, black bucks, ring-necked pheasants, Asian jungle fowl, bobwhite quail and semi-wild turkey.
1968 St. Vincent purchased by Nature Conservancy for $2.2 million. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service repaid Conservancy with money from “Duck” Stamp sales. Established as
St. Vincent National Wildlife Refuge.